SVS sub smokes and almost catches fire

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2018-7-4 12:10:03 | Show all posts |Read mode
Hello all,
I just wanted to share something that happened in my theater yesterday, it concerning to me that this could have been much much worse if i was not home and my kids were in the theater watching something...
So, yesterday i was viewing a new demo disc at near reference level -15 in preparation to having guests over next weekend. About 10 minutes in i smelled smoke, after some investigation i found my rear SVS PB13 ULTRA emitting smoke from the port tubes, a ton of smoke. I immediately unplugged the sub and plugged the port holes hoping to snuff and flames inside the enclosure..after waiting about 10 minutes i felt the rear amp plate and although it was very warm it wasn't hot...i removed the amp plate and more smoke came from inside the enclosure...i took the amp plate outside since the smell of burning plastic was very strong. I inspected the inside of the enclosure and it does not appear any other damage is evident. I am not sure what caused this failure or how close it was to catching the enclosure itself on fire.
I contacted SVS to see about a replacement amp, but the amp is 3 months out of warranty. Hopefully the stellar customer service i hear about will come through. The warranty appears to be up 11/2016 (amp was purchased as an upgrade 11/2011...its the sta-1000d)
I am also curious if this has happened to anyone else, i mean i have heard of recievers popping and smoking but this was a lot of smoke and if i had not found the source quickly I suspect this could have been a disaster.
I'll update this post once i hear back from SVS...

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile version|Dark room|CT-ink Inc.  

2018-12-19 12:16 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.056736 second(s), 23 queries , Xcache On.