View: 447|Reply: 6

Sonos Setup with Sony

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2016-3-12 07:52:00 | Show all posts |Read mode
I currently have a Sony 930c with a wireless Sony Sub. I'm happy with the setup but I'm considering a Sonos Playbar and two Play One's for surround sound.
I know my TV outputs Dolby Digital sound but will it be 5.1 if connecting the Sonos Playbar through the Digital Audio Out on my TV?
I've heard Stereo sound doesn't sound great (isn't really worth it) so I just want to make sure my TV is capable of outputting 5.1 with my Sony Sub as well (not using Sonos Sub since my Sony works fine).
Any recommendations or feedback would be great!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2016-3-12 09:27:00 | Show all posts
Your TV will output 5.1 just fine, make sure all your sources are set to bitstream or surround and not stereo or PCM. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you will not be able to use the Sony sub with Sonos, you have to get the Sonos sub for bass. They are not compatible, no sub but the Sonos sub is compatible with Sonos.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
 Author| Post time 2016-3-12 11:34:00 | Show all posts

Quote:

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2016-3-12 11:49:00 | Show all posts
The simple answer is I don't know. I haven't tried it before. It may or may not work with the digital out and it might be weird to adjust the volume between the sound bar and the sub. It is certainly worth a try though. If it doesn't work you can always add the Sonos sub later.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2016-3-12 11:51:00 | Show all posts
I would say that there is a 99.9% chance it will not work with the Sony sub. As far as I know there's no standard wireless format for speakers systems. Each manufacturer uses their own protocol. For it to work Sony would have to had licensed the Sonos protocol and then built it in to their TV's firmware. I just don't see that happening.
As an owner of the Sonos 5.1 surround system (with 2 Play1's) I'm extremely happy with it. SInce both subs are wireless, maybe you can find room to hide them both. Though the Sonos sub looks pretty cool and maybe you won't want to hide that one

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2016-3-12 13:43:00 | Show all posts
He is not trying to connect the Sony sub to the Sonos. That model TV can have a wireless sub connected to it to use with the internal TV speakers. I don't know if you turn off the internal speakers which he will need to do to use the Sonos if it will also cut off the sub. Probably, but I don't know. He might also be able to turn off the internal TV speakers and use the analog audio jack of the TV to connect the sub or if the TV thinks speakers are connected to the analog audio jack maybe it will still use the sub wirelessly.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2016-3-12 13:43:56 | Show all posts
Any updates on this?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile version|Dark room|CT-ink Inc.  

2021-2-25 10:38 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.064181 second(s), 22 queries .