View: 28|Reply: 0

audio dropout bug combo: Sonos Playbar, Sony TV, TiVo Bolt or Mini

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2017-12-3 10:00:18 | Show all posts |Read mode
I may have to cross post this to get a definitive answer, as it affects only a specific combination of components in testing.
I have been able to reproduce this bug in 4 different family homes as I am the AV installer/manager in all of them.
When connecting a Sonos Playbar to the digital audio output of the 930/940D line of Sony LCD TVs from 2016 (the recommended default configuration) in addition to a TiVo Bolt or TiVo Mini to one of the HDMI inputs of the Sony TV, audio dropouts in sound occur consistently as follows:
1. every time a channel change occurs in live TV
2. every time the TiVo is coming out of a fast forward command
Audio is lost under these conditions for about 5 seconds, then again after 15 seconds (sometimes never recovering sound at all).
Various audio settings changed on the Sony TVs have no effect.
Switching to PCM Audio on the TiVos eliminates the issue, but at the cost of giving up Dolby Digital 5.1 sound to the Playbar (and its connected rear channel speakers).
Switching to an older TiVo Roamio or Premiere shows no indication of this problem.
Sony TVs are, to my knowledge, the only ones that pass full Dolby Digital 5.1 from the HDMI inputs to the Toslink audio output of the TV.
I have been on the phone with Sony, TiVo, and Sonos. All deny responsibility for the issue.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile version|Dark room|CT-ink Inc.  

2017-12-13 13:20 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.115149 second(s), 23 queries .