View: 728|Reply: 10

Your opinion on 7.1 soundbars (Yamaha YAS

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2016-2-9 02:35:00 | Show all posts |Read mode
I am willing to give a bit of punch to my entertainment system.
I will buy a TV from the flagships of Sony or Panasonic.
Then probably a new bluray player from Panasonic.
I can't place in my living room a true 7.1 system - missing wife agreement...

I am thinking about a soundbar, but I'm lost. I have to connect the TV and the Player.
How can these soundbars reproduce a good surround effect? Not thinking that it will equal a full system...
Moreover I don't care too bunch about Atmos.
But, the YAS soundbar has just left and right input I think, and no HDMI ... How to get 7.1 from that? Maybe from digital coax or optical?
The YSP is clearly bouncing the sound waves on the walls, and I can understand the principle. Moreover there is HDMI.
Any advices? I am in Europe and these are the most available soundbars : Yamaha, Focal, Sonos, Samsung.
Thanks

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2016-2-9 11:26:00 | Show all posts
If you connect the source material via HDMI and use the tv's optical out to the sound bar, I don't think you will get 7.1 , rather it will be a stereo signal.
This has been my experience with my older LG tv. And many others state on other threads TV's cannot output 7.1 via their optical audio out when the incoming signal is HDMI.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
 Author| Post time 2016-2-9 12:11:00 | Show all posts
But can I get 7.1 from bluray player? From disc or from the embedded Netflix app, if 7.1 movies exist?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2016-2-9 12:29:00 | Show all posts
You will not get 7.1 with the optical connection but 5.1 is possible. I just posted some info here on this.
5.1 even worth it?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
 Author| Post time 2016-2-9 13:17:00 | Show all posts
If the Tv is Dolby digital plus, does that mean that it can pass all the channels via HDMI or another connection to the soundbar?
I just want to buy a complete AV system which will work.
The Tv that I'm looking for are these: comparison
How to get 5.1 or 7.1, depending if the soundbar supports it? By HDMI, optical?
I was thinking to connect everything by HDMI but :
the bluray player can have a lot of connections as for the Panasonic (HDMI audio/video, 7.1 audio out, coaxial digital audio, optical) or less as in the Samsung player (HDMI and optical).
The soundbar can have HDMI in/out, multiple optical input, or coaxial input as in the YSP. Or just one optical and one coax as in the YAS (no HDMI).
And finally the TV has just HDMI and optical connection.
How to connect everything to get the max from all this system?
Sorry for my newbie questions

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2016-2-9 14:31:00 | Show all posts
You have to set some priorities as there is no perfect solution for everything and some trade offs will need to be made.
1. What is the budget?
2. How important is sound quality?
3. How important is surround sound?
4. Any features a must have?
Some generalizations on the sound bars you mentioned.
1. Sonos - good sound and mediocre surround unless using the Play:1/3s for surround speakers. Than it has good surround sound. It does need the sub. I would also recommend a TV that can handle a 5.1 signal as its only connection is optical. The Sony TV would be a good choice, you'd have to check on the other TVs. I find the Sonos system a  little pricey but if you plan on having other Sonos components in the house it is a good solution that integrate your TV and whole house music system.
2. The YAS series is really the lower cost series. Some sound decent but none of the YAS sound bars do as good as the YSP sound bars. IMHO the YSP series using beam drivers has better surround sound then any other surround bars that try to use timing tricks for surround sound. Both the YAS and YSP sound bars need a sound bar if not included.
3. Samsung - It really depends on which model. If it is the models with surround speakers they will have better surround effect than any sound bar trying to bounce sound off the wall or use timing tricks. For having good surround nothing beats having speakers place where they are supposed to be.
4. Focal - The best sounding sound bar of the bunch for sound quality. Its surround effects are not great but if music and sound quality are priorities than I would make it a consideration. It also needs the sub.
The connections are not as important as the quality of speakers. Having a sound bar that can handle all the lossless formats but uses crappy speakers will still sound crappy. Of course there are certain features you might need, like if surround sound is a priority then make sure your connections carry surround sound.  In an ideal scenario I would connect all the components via HDMI to the sound bar and then from the sound bar to the TV. The advantage of going into the sound bar with HDMI if possible instead of going to the TV and using ARC or optical is that only this method has the capability of carrying the lossless formats which ARC or optical cannot.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
 Author| Post time 2016-3-9 03:10:00 | Show all posts
Thank you Ellebob!
So clear explanation.
My budget for the soundbar is up to the YSP value (2700 or 2500 seems a good compromise).
My priority is to have an acceptable surround effect, without having satellite speakers.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2016-3-9 03:45:00 | Show all posts
I would go with the 2700 because it has the newer 4K HDMI chips and can handle 4K with HDR that the 2500 can not. The 2700 also has Musiccast which is Yamaha's whole house music system like Sonos. It can really be a nice feature especially if you add any of their other musiccast components.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2016-3-9 03:45:59 | Show all posts

Quote:

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
Post time 2016-3-9 03:46:38 | Show all posts

Quote:

Use magic Report

12Next
Return to list New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile version|Dark room|CT-ink Inc.  

2021-2-25 10:24 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.048172 second(s), 22 queries .