View: 404|Reply: 5

Adjusting Subwoofer Crossover and Gain

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2016-1-11 12:15:00 | Show all posts |Read mode
I recently bought a Yamaha ATS-1060 soundbar from Costco. It seems to be the warehouse version of the YAS-106.
I've paired it with a powered Velodyne sub I already had on hand, which has controls for crossover and sub volume.
What's the best way to determine the optimum settings for these controls? Apparently I'm lost without Audyssey.
FWIW, I currently have the sub connected with an RCA cable. I may add a wireless sub kit later, if I can find one with few negative reviews.
Thanks!
Kevin

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
 Author| Post time 2016-1-11 12:38:00 | Show all posts
Without  Audyssey you have to rely on your own ears as many of us learned to do back in the good old days.

Yamaha claims a low end frequency response of 160 Hz for the YAS-106, so that's probably a good place to start on crossing over to your sub.  You could try downloading some of the mp3 frequency tones in that general range and play them in sequence to see if they appear to have comparable volume.  I've always liked to set my subwoofer volume by ear regardless of what any sound program recommends.  I also tweak the sub volume for different content to suit my own tastes.  Trial and error is the best no-cost option.
As far as wireless subwoofer kits go, I researched that pretty thoroughly and found about equal reviews for the Rocketfish (Best Buy) and Dayton Audio (Parts Express) models, which both sell for about $60.  I ended up getting the Rocketfish because there was a Best Buy nearby and I didn't want to wait for mail order from Parts Express.  The Rocketfish has performed flawlessly for me.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
 Author| Post time 2016-1-11 15:48:00 | Show all posts

Quote:

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
 Author| Post time 2016-3-11 14:25:00 | Show all posts
There are many times more Rocketfish and Dayton Audio  wireless subwoofer kits sold than Martin Logans, and the more units of  anything in users' hands the more issues are likely to be reported.  Both of  the less expensive units are dead simple to set up.  All you have to do  is follow the instructions, which again are dead simple.  Some of the  problems people have had are not following instructions (failing to provide line of  sight between transmitter and receiver, etc.) and the occasional  electronic device that interfers with the signal.  Finally, a small  percentage of any electronic device will be defective and require  exchanging for an operating unit.  None of that is sufficient reason to avoid the less expensive options.  My Rocketfish is still going strong after several years of everyday use.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
 Author| Post time 2016-3-11 14:25:51 | Show all posts

Quote:

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
 Author| Post time 2016-3-11 14:26:33 | Show all posts

Quote:

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile version|Dark room|CT-ink Inc.  

2021-2-25 09:45 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.042930 second(s), 24 queries .