View: 429|Reply: 6

Best Deal at $350? Denon DHT

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2017-5-11 15:23:31 | Show all posts |Read mode
Just swung by BB to listen to some soundbars.  Initially thinking I wanted to go with the Samsung HW K950.  After seeing how large it was I jumped to other options.  I'm mounting the soundbar to my TV mount.  I'm replacing a nice 3.1 setup (Denon receiver, Klipsch sub, Era 4 L/R and center) and I know I'll take a hit in audio quality but want to simplify my setup and reduce components.
I listened to the Bose Soundtouch 300 with sub and it sounded incredible and was about to pull the trigger but thought twice.  Think I'm going to go a less expensive route now and upgrade to something more robust later.  I saw Best Buy had a big sale going on before crazy time tomorrow with the Denon DHT-S514 at $350 and picked one up.  Given everyone has different needs, would this soundbar / sub combo be the best setup for the $350 price point?  Is there anything that is in the same price range that would have better audio quality?  
My source is a newer Samsung 4k TV with inputs of the Roku Ultra and DirecTV.  Will also stream music from Roku and Bluetooth.  
Many thanks!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2017-5-11 15:24:27 | Show all posts
I am also looking at this soundbar and the Klipsch RSB-11 and Denon Heos (don't like lack of Bluetooth though).
Wondering what people think in the $350 - $450 level.
Thanks
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2017-5-11 15:25:27 | Show all posts
Yeah, when I went to BB the other day the sales guy immediately told me about how the Denon was half off and how great it sounded, but it wasn't on display anywhere. The RSB-11 for some reason didn't want to work either, could not get it to pair with my phone.
The JBL SB400 on the other hand worked and wow, did it sound great. The sub shook the entire floor without sounding too muddy, and for the price it honestly wasn't bad. If you have one near your BB, I'd give it a try.
It's even on sale for $300 now with open box costing significantly less. If I get enough funds by next week, I'm definitely picking it up.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
 Author| Post time 2017-5-11 15:26:14 | Show all posts
Thanks to you both.  I'm setting up the Denon in the next few days.  I haven't found any other deals that might compete with this price range/quality other than what you all listed so going to install it later this week once I get my TV mounted.  Definitely know there are better sound options out there and able to increase the price a bit but right now looking for something lower profile and this seems to be the ticket.
Thanks again!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2017-5-11 15:26:55 | Show all posts
Well, it seems that ARC on the LG OLED TVs is less than "well" implemented.  So, had to set the soundbar up using the Optical Connection.
Actually, this works extremely well.  Turns on and off with signal so there is little difference between ARC and I get to leave another HDMI port on the TV free.
As for the sound?
I have not heard a better soundbar - for anything less than $1,000.  It is neither boomy or brassy, nor is it weak in any way.  I am using it with a 55" set and it is damn near perfect.  Very natural sounding.  One hell of a deal here.
Didn't go with their HEOS system as I really don't need anything else on my wifi, and wifi is nowhere near as reliable as RF as there is a lot more traffic to interfere with.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2017-1-2 15:06:00 | Show all posts
I picked up this soundbar during the Best Buy sale and have been pretty happy with it. I also auditioned the RSB-11 and ended up with the Denon.  I had no problems connecting it to my Samsung KS8000 and would highly recommend it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2017-3-2 13:03:00 | Show all posts
I set up my new Denon DHT-S514 a couple days ago. It sounds great for music or movies at elevated volume levels, but my wife doesn't like it too loud, and so far I'm not thrilled with normal-volume TV viewing--it sounds "boxy," like a speaker trapped in a closed box. I've tried all settings, and even tried changing to a non-ARC TV connection and other audio inputs, right down to the analog connection; but no change.
Not sure whether to ship it back and try something else, but I will give it a chance for a week. Does anyone know whether smaller speaker sizes benefit from a break-in period? Possibly the speaker cones will benefit from more flexing?
If I return it, the budget I'm looking at would be in the $400 max range. I've been considering the Sony HT-CT790 or possibly a Klipsch RSB-6 or R-20B. Any thoughts on these? The TV is a new Sony XBR-49X800D.
Thanks! -Bill

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile version|Dark room|CT-ink Inc.  

2021-3-4 08:35 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.055957 second(s), 22 queries .