CT-ink Audio Forum

Forgot password?
 Register
View: 28|Reply: 2

So I listened to some headphones at Best Buy...

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
Post time 6 day(s) ago | Show all posts |Read mode
I've never really paid much attention to headphones, I only used to use them once in a blue moon when I had to get on a plane, but since I've started going to the gym regularly that's changed a bit.  I started out with some Skullcandy Smokin' Buds 2, but they weren't up for gym duty, sweat somehow got into the internals and wrecked them.  I picked up a pair of Bose Soundsport earbuds (the plain jane wired ones) when they went on sale for $50 during Amazon Prime Day last year, and I was instantly blown away by how much better they sounded than the Smokin' Buds, plus they've proven to be very durable.  The overall sound quality is very good, and I've been particularly amazed at the deep bass they can pump out for such small little things.
The sound quality of those has me thinking about getting a pair of nice headphones for home use and for better listening when I'm flying or doing other on-the-go things where it would be appropriate, so I decided to stop by Best Buy to demo some, really hoping to check out the B&W P7 since I've really loved the B&W speakers I've heard.  Here's what I walked away with:
JBL Everest 300 - They sounded nice, but unremarkable.  It seems like JBL is really letting the 'Everest' branding slum with these, I mean, they didn't sound bad, but they didn't sound any better than my Bose earbuds as far as I could tell, just sort of straight down the middle.
Sony Xtrabass 950BT - These sounded bad.  Muddy, muffled, and while there may have been 'extra' bass, it was sloppy and ill-defined, I was very disappointed.  I've heard Sony makes some good headphones, these apparently aren't them.
B&W P5 - Unfortunately they didn't have the P7s on the demo rack, and the pair of P5s they had were malfunctioning somehow, the left channel was easily twice as loud as the right, so it made it very hard to get any good impressions.  Even in their broken state I heard some nice things, I'd like to hear a properly functioning set, and the P7s as well if they're a major step up.
Bose Quietcomfort 35 - I know Bose is the OG of noise canceling headphones, but I'd never listened to a pair.  I was completely unprepared for the sudden suckout of all background noise when I hit 'play' on the demo console.   It's amazing, a little bit eerie, and wonderfully effective.  The headphones themselves were probably the best sounding set I listened to at the store, great clarity, tight clean bass, detailed midrange, and an 'open' sound that sounded bigger than the headphones themselves, I was very impressed.  The one caveat with these is that they were the only set I couldn't demo with my own music as they didn't have a minijack to plug a phone into them, I could only listen to the Bose-supplied tracks they had built into the demo station, so I'm sure that music was selected to really show them off well.
Moving forward, and doing a lot of reading, I'm really interested in hearing some Planar and/or Electrostatic headphones as I've heard a lot of great things about them here, unfortunately there aren't any places to demo them that I'm aware of.  I'm curious as to how something like the Oppo PM3, Monoprice Monolith 1060, or Stax SR-L300 would stack up (though the Stax is probably out of the running as from what I understand it requires a special amp to use so can be used on-the-go).  
Do planar headphones sound radically different from traditional woofer-based ones?   I'm still not sure how often I'd use them, so I don't want to end up dumping tons of cash to get started, but I'm thinking I'd like to play around and get some that sound really nice just to explore what headphones have to offer.  Where are good places to start?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 5 day(s) ago | Show all posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes

Bose Quietcomfort 35 - I know Bose is the OG of noise canceling headphones, but I'd never listened to a pair.  I was completely unprepared for the sudden suckout of all background noise when I hit 'play' on the demo console.   It's amazing, a little bit eerie, and wonderfully effective.  The headphones themselves were probably the best sounding set I listened to at the store, great clarity, tight clean bass, detailed midrange, and an 'open' sound that sounded bigger than the headphones themselves, I was very impressed.  The one caveat with these is that they were the only set I couldn't demo with my own music as they didn't have a minijack to plug a phone into them, I could only listen to the Bose-supplied tracks they had built into the demo station, so I'm sure that music was selected to really show them off well.

I have the QC25's and you should try them on a plane.... They are an absolute life saver for me.  I can't go on a plane without them.
I've got some open and closed AudiaTechnica's, Beyerdynamic DT1350's (my favourites) and some ****ty Sennheiser Momentums that I use in bed. They really are horses for courses so start a collection and use them appropriately

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
Post time 5 day(s) ago | Show all posts

I'm interested.  I have been kicking around idea of a decent pair of headphones AND earbuds.  Earbuds for more on the go obviously.  The B&W P7's can be had for 280, the wireless version...But recently I was thinking maybe all the money into a really nice pair of earbuds would better suit?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile version|Dark room|CT-ink Inc.  

2017-5-24 10:09 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.082863 second(s), 24 queries .