View: 395|Reply: 7

Repairing holes in woofers

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
Post time 2017-6-26 14:02:00 | Show all posts |Read mode
I picked up some cheap speakers from CL today -- the speaker I want to try out thankfully appears to be in good shape -- but some of the freebies thrown in have holes in the papery/rubbery woofers.
Just wondering what is the best way to try to fix them? My first thought was simply put some electrical tape over the holes, try them out, then re-list them on CL as damaged, but working speakers. But I expect that can't be the proper way to fix holes in woofers.
I think I have an old patch repair kit around here somewhere. Maybe that would work? I don't even recall what it was for (tents, maybe)... but figure that may be better than electrical tape.
Edit: Just took a better look at them, and the holes appear to be on the edges, not as deep as I thought. A foam surround kit may work. Although if I could just seal these up and it'd be good enough, I'd prefer that.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
 Author| Post time 2017-6-26 17:34:00 | Show all posts

Without the maker and model name it's impossible to make a rational judgement. Some are definitely worth replacing the foam surrounds, and if I can do it ANYONE can. And I have saved a paor of Acoustic Research speakers for my brother-in-law.
If you "seal" those up, whatever you use will probably impede movement or cause buzzing. Fixing them right can be under $10 depending upon the speaker.

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold member

Credits
Post time 2017-6-26 18:06:00 | Show all posts

Sorry, I should have listed the model -- Boston HD-8s.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
 Author| Post time 2017-6-26 18:23:00 | Show all posts

There's a buyer for the out there, especially if they're in working condition. I would think they're worth fixing.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold member

Credits
Post time 2017-6-26 18:31:00 | Show all posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenM10759

There's a buyer for the out there, especially if they're in working condition. I would think they're worth fixing.

I may try to patch them up with whatever I can figure out here, just to give them a listen. Never heard these before, so no idea what to expect.
The reviews for these seem to be mostly positive... basically decent speakers, nothing fantastic, but not junk either.
If they are decent and were a bit smaller, I might use them with my gaming setup ... speakers are sort of big though.
$20 surround kits on ebay suitable if I decide to do a proper repair?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
 Author| Post time 2017-6-26 18:53:00 | Show all posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doe Doe

$20 surround kits on ebay suitable if I decide to do a proper repair?

Worth it for them -- do it justice

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
 Author| Post time 2017-6-26 20:25:00 | Show all posts

Agreed. I went with one of those kits for about the same price and even used the glue that came with it despite being advised to use another that afforded more setting-up time (for adjustment.) I'd never attempted it before but enough YouTube videos watched and I was very successful. I didn't even make a mess, it looks like a "factory" installation.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
 Author| Post time 2017-6-26 22:15:00 | Show all posts

After the worst temporary woofer fix imaginable (electrical + scotch tape), I finally got around to testing them just now.
Better than I expected, especially considering their injured state.
Not a fair fight, but my towers easily beat them. However the injured Bostons beat my spare Insignias. And going by memory, but pretty sure I like the Bostons better than Pioneer AJs.
Nice bass for the size, although soundstage was lacking some...bass a bit mushy, detail was okay, but not super sharp. Some of the problems I expect were due to their woofer malady.
I think I have some ebay bucks coming in next month, I'll look into picking up a repair kit then. Definitely not bad for the price.... $25 (+ whatever repair kit costs) got me the two Boston HD8s, a Boston VR10 (and thankfully healthy) and two decent wooden stands.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile version|Dark room|CT-ink Inc.  

2020-8-13 04:25 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.126517 second(s), 24 queries .