Help completing 7.2.4 plan

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2017-6-25 16:25:00 | Show all posts |Read mode
Hello yall,
Been lookin and learning...time for my first post. I'll be setting up a dedicated home theater over the next year or so (budget and other priorities) and need some advice...Can someone help me with deciding on four over head speakers (atmos channels) and two rear channels to match what I'd like to get:
L/R= Def Tech BP-9040s
C= Def Tech CS-9060
sides= Def Tech SR-9080s
sub= SVS PC12 Plus (maybe just one)
rears=??
overheads=??
- theater is dedicated to movies.
- budget is in line with what I'd like to spend on the other channels.
- room is about 18ft wide, 23ft deep, 10ft tall and pre-wired by the builder for 7.1.4.
- have not thought of the type of AVR yet, but would like it to run all channels.
- thought about a 2:37.1 screen...like a curved Seymour XD.
thanks for any advice!!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-6-25 16:47:00 | Show all posts

Dedicated HT room + fairly large space, I would consider PSA.  
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/
In ceiling speakers.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_735DI5...5R.html?tp=193
Back surrounds
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_735SM4...onitor-45.html

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-6-25 17:16:00 | Show all posts

Well I love Def Tech, I am a fan despite what a lot of people say. They build really nice sounding speakers, I don't think they know how to build a bad speaker to be honest. You can't go wrong with them. That being said if you have the money and don't mind spending it Power sound audio, PSA speakers are supposed to be absolutely insanely great speakers. The owners thread is filled with absolutely satisfied customers.
So I can tell you Def Tech is a great choice first hand. I love mine, I really love mine. I have Studio monitors for all 5 channels, and the studio monitor line from Definitive Tech is one of the best kept secrets in Home theater.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
Post time 2017-6-25 18:42:00 | Show all posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjh7

L/R= Def Tech BP-9040s
C= Def Tech CS-9060
sides= Def Tech SR-9080s
rears=??
overheads=??

Rather than getting front L/R speakers that are different from the centre speaker that is different from the side speakers which are different from the rear speakers that are different from the height speakers, why not instead get 11 of the same bookshelf speaker for consistent sound around you and above you. In this day and age of bass managed systems, large floorstanding towers are no longer a requirement. Besides, where you place them for optimal soundstage and imaging is likely not the best location for bass reproduction.
I would start with multiple subs (2 or 4, depending on budget), that can be placed at whatever locations deliver the best bass in your room. Then you just need speakers that can take over above the crossover point, which need not be expensive full range models. These can be positioned independently from the subs, at whatever locations yield the best soundstage and imaging (without worrying that you'll mess up the bass response). The L/C/R bookshelves can be hidden behind your planned Seymour XD screen.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold member

Credits
Post time 2017-6-25 18:58:00 | Show all posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdurani

Rather than getting front L/R speakers that are different from the centre speaker that is different from the side speakers which are different from the rear speakers that are different from the height speakers, why not instead get 11 of the same bookshelf speaker for consistent sound around you and above you. In this day and age of bass managed systems, large floorstanding towers are no longer a requirement. Besides, where you place them for optimal soundstage and imaging is likely not the best location for bass reproduction.

I have to agree with this.  
For example, 11 x Ascend HTM-200SE would make a great system, and at a very reasonable cost.
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...00/htm200.html
Or if you like super loud volume levels, for your front LCR you could get 3 of these to go with 8 of those Ascends:
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/coll...roducts/mt-110

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-6-25 19:47:00 | Show all posts

I of course agree with the bookshelf thing because I have 5 really great performing bookshelf speakers in my system. I have Def Tech SM 65 mains, SM 65 center channel and SM 55 surrounds. It really sounds great. With a good sub which you should have no matter what type speakers you have anyway you'll have a great system. There are so many great performing bookshelf speakers it's pretty awesome.
Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
Post time 2017-6-26 09:59:00 | Show all posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjh7

sub= SVS PC12 Plus (maybe just one)

That's a decent sized space - change "maybe just one" to "absolutely dual" and maybe go bigger......

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile version|Dark room|CT-ink Inc.  

2020-8-13 05:28 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.067404 second(s), 24 queries .