View: 424|Reply: 9

Looking for some bookshelf/monitors suggestions

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2017-6-27 15:00:00 | Show all posts |Read mode
So I have both a PC and a turntable that I will be hooking these speakers up to.   PC would be used for both gaming and music.  Right now I have a set of Yamaha HS80M monitors and they've served me well, but I think it's time to move up.  I've had my eye on Polk LSiM 703's because Polk has always been good to me but I thought I'd see what other recommendations people have.  Price range will be right around the 703's, ~$1,500 for the pair or cheaper.  I'd probably add a sub at some point if I felt I needed to but let's just stick to the 2 speakers for now.
The speakers (active or passive) would be running into a Schiit Ragnarok amp and I would also be using the Yggdrasil DAC.  Thanks,

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2017-6-27 15:03:00 | Show all posts

How about the hsu ccb-8s and a hsu sub would fill your need nicely

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold member

Credits
Post time 2017-6-27 15:21:00 | Show all posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mva5580

So I have both a PC and a turntable that I will be hooking these speakers up to.   PC would be used for both gaming and music.  Right now I have a set of Yamaha HS80M monitors and they've served me well, but I think it's time to move up.  I've had my eye on Polk LSiM 703's because Polk has always been good to me but I thought I'd see what other recommendations people have.  Price range will be right around the 703's, ~$1,500 for the pair or cheaper.  I'd probably add a sub at some point if I felt I needed to but let's just stick to the 2 speakers for now.
The speakers (active or passive) would be running into a Schiit Ragnarok amp and I would also be using the Yggdrasil DAC.  Thanks,

What other Polk speakers have you had?  Asking because the LSi series is very different from their RTi series, and from the Monitor and lower lines.  The LSi have a bit more of a "warm" presentation, which some people (like me) love, but some don't.  Quite different from the "neutral" presentation of Yamaha monitors.  
Generally speaking though, I don't think the LSi are a very good value unless you find them on sale for 50% off MSRP as happens a couple times a year.  
If your budget is $1500 you could easily get an equally or better performing pair of bookshelf speakers AND a sub right now instead of waiting until later to add the sub.  Although there are also speakers in the $800-1500 price range that produce enough mid-bass not to even require a subwoofer since it sounds like you won't be doing any HT.
Will these speakers be used mainly for nearfield listening on your desktop?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
 Author| Post time 2017-6-27 15:23:00 | Show all posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorba922

What other Polk speakers have you had?  Asking because the LSi series is very different from their RTi series, and from the Monitor and lower lines.  The LSi have a bit more of a "warm" presentation, which some people (like me) love, but some don't.  Quite different from the "neutral" presentation of Yamaha monitors.  
Generally speaking though, I don't think the LSi are a very good value unless you find them on sale for 50% off MSRP as happens a couple times a year.  
If your budget is $1500 you could easily get an equally or better performing pair of bookshelf speakers AND a sub right now instead of waiting until later to add the sub.  Although there are also speakers in the $800-1500 price range that produce enough mid-bass not to even require a subwoofer since it sounds like you won't be doing any HT.
Will these speakers be used mainly for nearfield listening on your desktop?

Yes definitely no HT with these speakers, and by and large it will be near field yes as I'll be at my desktop but there could also be a point in the future where maybe I'm sitting a bit away from the desktop/relaxing or whatever just listening to music.  But these are never going to be in any kind of huge room or anything like that.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold member

Credits
Post time 2017-6-27 15:29:00 | Show all posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mva5580

Yes definitely no HT with these speakers, and by and large it will be near field yes as I'll be at my desktop but there could also be a point in the future where maybe I'm sitting a bit away from the desktop/relaxing or whatever just listening to music.  But these are never going to be in any kind of huge room or anything like that.

I'd look at these:
http://philharmonicaudio.com/New%20Philharmonitor.html
Or these, if you have the space and want the extra bass extension:
http://philharmonicaudio.com/BMR%20Philharmonitor.html
Both will need at least a foot of rear clearance of course.  The second option definitely would not require a sub, ever.
Other options:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...SRM1/srm1.html
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...SRM2/srm2.html

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2017-6-27 15:56:00 | Show all posts

If any interest..take a look at elac's also. They are pretty good
Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold member

Credits
Post time 2017-6-27 17:09:00 | Show all posts

Focal Aria 905 -- a real good closeout price
https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...Wr8aAhIT8P8HAQ
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ck-pair/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ut-pair/1.html
This would make room for a subwoofer

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-6-27 17:24:00 | Show all posts

Pair of NHT SuperZeros and a nice sub. I have this setup in my 2500 cubic ft bedroom powered by an inexpensive Yamaha stereo receiver. It sounds great and has plenty of volume.
Since you already have an amp your looking at

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2017-6-27 17:57:00 | Show all posts

Kef ls50

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-6-27 18:22:00 | Show all posts

+1 on the Focal Aria.
You'll get a very good set of speakers and have plenty left for a good sub.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile version|Dark room|CT-ink Inc.  

2020-8-13 04:53 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.046757 second(s), 22 queries .