CT-ink Audio Forum

Forgot password?
 Register
12Next
Return to list New
View: 643|Reply: 10

Deciding Speakers for my new media room.

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2017-6-27 13:21:00 | Show all posts |Read mode
Hello all,
I am looking for new speakers for my media room which have sliding walls. The room is 8 feet high and is 20x20 feet.
Since I will be utilizing the media room for mostly movies and XBOX, my friend suggested that I should go with 5.1 rather than sound bar.
I like the sound to be clear when dialogues, and I like more sound clarity than bass or high volume when it comes to speakers.
My budget is limited under $250. I am confused between "Haraman Kardon HKTS 20" and "Sony BDVE3100"
The reason I have sony SRS-XB as an option is because I really liked sony bluetooth speaker's sound clarity over other blutooth speakers.
Please help, i need to order by today. I realise that I will need reciever, and I have already figured that part out.
Thanks in advance. Attached is my media room pic. Projector screen will be on opposite wall which you cannot see here.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
 Author| Post time 2017-6-27 13:34:00 | Show all posts

So you already have a receiver?
I wouldn't go for the small htib setups... typically they aren't very good. With a budget of $250 though it's a bit difficult to get a good set of 5.1 speakers. Since you want to use these for gaming, ideally you match all around too. Otherwise I'd say just spend on the front three, go cheap as possible with the surrounds.
Anyway, if trying to stay around that budget you could get two sets of Sony Cores at Best Buy for $240. With that you can either go with 4.0, skipping the center channel, or go 3.0 and use a bookshelf as a center if you can fit it.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-cor...?skuId=5721014
If you can expand that budget a bit, you could add a sub like this:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-black/1.html
Alternatively you could just do the 2.1 thing, Sony Cores + Yamaha sub, which should be about $230. Then add extra cores at a later date.
It'll be better than a soundbar at least.
There are other options, like a 5.1 Dayton setup, but I'd go with the Cores over the Daytons if it was me -- https://www.parts-express.com/51-hom...oofer--300-696
----
If okay with used, it's a lot easier to get a 5.1 system on the used market compared to new. If you want to list your CL area, folks here can take a look for you. Just not sure why you state you need to order today exactly... that might not work so well with the speed of CL people.

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold member

Credits
Post time 2017-6-27 14:17:00 | Show all posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doe Doe

So you already have a receiver?
I wouldn't go for the small htib setups... typically they aren't very good. With a budget of $250 though it's a bit difficult to get a good set of 5.1 speakers. Since you want to use these for gaming, ideally you match all around too. Otherwise I'd say just spend on the front three, go cheap as possible with the surrounds.
Anyway, if trying to stay around that budget you could get two sets of Sony Cores at Best Buy for $240. With that you can either go with 4.0, skipping the center channel, or go 3.0 and use a bookshelf as a center if you can fit it.
If you can expand that budget a bit, you could add a sub like this:
Alternately you could just do the 2.1 thing, Sony Cores + Yamaha sub, which should be about $230. Then add extra cores at a later date.
It'll be better than a soundbar at least.
There are other options, like a 5.1 Dayton setup, but I'd go with the Cores over the Daytons if it was me --
----
If okay with used, it's a lot easier to get a 5.1 system on the used market compared to new. If you want to list your CL area, folks here can take a look for you. Just not sure why you state you need to order today exactly... that might not work so well with the speed of CL people.

Thanks. This helps.
The reason I said that I have figured out is because I am getting a sony 4k 3d reciever at 138 used on amazon. I think it has everything so I am fine wit that.
I am a Memphis Tennessee resident.
I am ok with used. If you can send me some of the link or suggest used 5.1 that will be great.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
 Author| Post time 2017-6-27 14:54:00 | Show all posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzprax

Hello all,
I am looking for new speakers for my media room which have sliding walls. The room is 8 feet high and is 20x20 feet.
Since I will be utilizing the media room for mostly movies and XBOX, my friend suggested that I should go with 5.1 rather than sound bar.
I like the sound to be clear when dialogues, and I like more sound clarity than bass or high volume when it comes to speakers.
My budget is limited under $250. I am confused between "Haraman Kardon HKTS 20" and "Sony BDVE3100"
The reason I have sony SRS-XB as an option is because I really liked sony bluetooth speaker's sound clarity over other blutooth speakers.
Please help, i need to order by today. I realise that I will need reciever, and I have already figured that part out.
Thanks in advance. Attached is my media room pic. Projector screen will be on opposite wall which you cannot see here.

This is cheaper and will destroy your choices for clarity.
https://www.parts-express.com/b652-a...oofer--300-691

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold member

Credits
Post time 2017-6-27 15:04:00 | Show all posts

Yup. Sound clarity is really important to me rather than volume and bass.
I like listening to clear dialogues. I am ok with used speakers. Please suggest.
Thanks

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold member

Credits
Post time 2017-6-27 15:06:00 | Show all posts

Quote:

I like listening to clear dialogues. I am ok with used speakers. Please suggest.
Thanks

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-system-review

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-6-27 15:08:00 | Show all posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gajCA

This is cheaper and will destroy your choices for clarity.
https://www.parts-express.com/b652-a...oofer--300-691

If he wants to go the dayton route, he may be better off buying a couple of sets of 652 airs separately, as he'll do the gaming thing. So probably preferable to have the same speaker all around.
Although again, I'd go with Cores over the Daytons, just compromise and get less speakers right now if he can't afford it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold member

Credits
Post time 2017-6-27 15:09:00 | Show all posts

Quote:

Thanks

You need to list your Craigslist area so folks can take a look for you.
Edit: I see you listed TN and I missed it. I'll take a look (although I'm hardly an expert).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold member

Credits
Post time 2017-6-27 15:17:00 | Show all posts

Great advice above, Id add that since your budget is low, start with a 2.0 and work your way up to 5.1 over time. You'll end up with a much better system, and sounds like you'll appreciate that better system in the end.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
 Author| Post time 2017-6-27 17:43:00 | Show all posts

The Sony Core is pretty much a no-brainer
Or this >>
3 pc Polk system - see if you can talk him down some
https://memphis.craigslist.org/ele/6148241758.html

Use magic Report

12Next
Return to list New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile version|Dark room|CT-ink Inc.  

2020-8-13 05:25 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.070988 second(s), 24 queries .