Return to list New
View: 317|Reply: 13

NAD Adding Dirac Live to Upcoming AV Products

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-6-28 05:57:00 | Show all posts |Read mode
Today, NAD announced that it will incorporate Dirac Live room correction into select future products from its Masters and Custom Install lines.
Click the link to read more: NAD Announces Dirac Live for Upcoming Amps

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2017-6-28 08:23:00 | Show all posts

Their MDC design was a great concept, just a mess when it came to execution as it turned out to be cheaper to buy a new unit than replacing the MDC's with updated versions. That the MDC's ended up being delayed in the region of two years didn't help matters.
I would have loved to update my fully functional NAD T775 to 4k/Atmos/Dirac bit it just isn't worth it now.

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2017-6-28 10:03:00 | Show all posts

So they're going to integrate the software into their amplifiers instead of their preamps/processors?  That's an interesting decision that seems to run counter to how everyone else does it, but it does actually make some sense.  
Amps typically have a longer usable life than processors, which can be made obsolete through the release of a new HDMI spec or surround format, so allowing owners to upgrade their processors without losing their Dirac calibration or having to pay for a new Dirac license seems smart.  
Plus, it's not like amps with built-in DSP are uncommon in the pro audio world, why not have that come into HT as well?
Integrating something like Dante into their processors and amps would be a smart move too, then you could keep the signal in the digital domain all the way up until the point of output to the speaker.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2017-6-28 10:21:00 | Show all posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes

So they're going to integrate the software into their amplifiers instead of their preamps/processors?  That's an interesting decision that seems to run counter to how everyone else does it, but it does actually make some sense.

Except they aren't, integrated amps are not power amplifiers. The integrated bit is the processing part.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2017-6-28 10:23:00 | Show all posts

I am a little confused. Wouldn’t this add an extra a/d and d/a step?  I thought Dirac worked in digital domain. I am also upset that their MDC card upgrade won’t include Dirac. I have a perfectly good T775HD that I love and was hoping I could add Dirac to it.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
Post time 2017-6-28 10:33:00 | Show all posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana

Except they aren't, integrated amps are not power amplifiers. The integrated bit is the processing part.

NAD does have a habit of referring to its integrated units as amps, and that's what I'd expect this is about. Right now I'm just going with the wording in the press release. I'll see if I can get any clarification.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2017-6-28 10:34:00 | Show all posts

i am reasonably excited by this.  My understanding is that a NAD M17 HD2 (which is a processor) would be released with Dirac.  This would be good upgrade on my Marantz AV8801 and will partner my NAD M25 well.  I've been waiting a while now - so if it does arrive by CEDIA that will be good news.
George

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
Post time 2017-6-28 12:29:00 | Show all posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bommai

I am a little confused. Wouldn’t this add an extra a/d and d/a step?  I thought Dirac worked in digital domain.

Top level AD DA conversion should be transparent in today's technology.  Do a blind test with something Like Metric Halo Lio8 and see if you can tell a difference.  That being said, even with a reasonable priced and decent ADC and DAC the degradation should be minor (there is a reason high-end audio magazines generally refuse to do blind tests) and the benefits of a properly implemented Dirac Live tuning should far outweigh said degradation.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2017-6-28 12:46:00 | Show all posts

They're integrating a miniDSP DDRC-88A in their amps? I'd like to see Dirac Live integrated into a no-frills AVR. One less AD/DA conversion.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2017-6-28 12:49:00 | Show all posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggrossen

i am reasonably excited by this.  My understanding is that a NAD M17 HD2 (which is a processor) would be released with Dirac.  This would be good upgrade on my Marantz AV8801 and will partner my NAD M25 well.  I've been waiting a while now - so if it does arrive by CEDIA that will be good news.
George

Yes that's right, I can confirm the upcoming Masters M17.2. It's also included in the AM230 MDC Module for the T 758V3 and T 777V3 AVRs.
I'd copy and paste the press release to show what led to my original post, but the point is this is the real story, per Greg Stidsen.

Use magic Report

12Next
Return to list New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile version|Dark room|CT-ink Inc.  

2017-12-13 13:18 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.318196 second(s), 22 queries .