View: 23|Reply: 1

Bridge or bi-amp using a 5 channel amp for LCR

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
Post time 2017-6-28 18:39:00 | Show all posts |Read mode
So I want to amp my front 3 paradigms.  The fronts are 170W (up to 220W) and then the center is 150W.
Given that the outlaw I'm thinking about is 120W per channel and I'll have 2 unused channels, could I bi-amp the surround channels on the amps and run 2 channels to my fronts.
I'm a novice at this so I don't know if that's "bridging" or if plugging in 2 terminals makes sense?  However, I THINK those are for the tweeters and woofers meaning the tweeters will barely take a thing
So is bi-amping an option?  Would it be worth it?  Or should I just get a 3 channel amp?
Any amp reccomendations appreciated.  I was looking at an Outlaw 500 or an emotiva 3 channel (which is a little pricy).  Nothing over a grand.
Thanks,
Joe

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Novice

Credits
Post time 2017-6-28 22:37:00 | Show all posts

Bi-amping is where two amp channels, fed from the same audio signal, feed two sets of input terminals on a speaker. Not particularly useful or cost efficient.
Bridging is again running two amps on the same audio signal, except one of them is inverted. The speaker is connected to the two "hot" outputs, thus doubling the voltage swing across the speaker. To make this work you need something to do the signal inversion. The Outlaw amp does not do that.
Running the L/R in bridge mode will not buy you much in terms of system headroom, as that will be limited by the center channel. A three channel amp of equal power might be a better option. Nonetheless, I like having a couple of amp channels in reserve. Someday along comes a new AVR or pre-pro with more output channels

, or perhaps one channel goes south -- the show can go on.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile version|Dark room|CT-ink Inc.  

2017-8-20 23:25 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.169893 second(s), 22 queries .