CT-ink Audio Forum

Forgot password?
 Register
View: 319|Reply: 0

Confusing speakers (impedance question). I've few other questions too though.

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2018-7-4 12:10:03 | Show all posts |Read mode
To give a little backstory, I have two sets of surround speakers (KEF and LG), the LG ones are sitting in storage since (on the outside) they're marked 4 ohm whereas the KEF (KHT series) are 8 ohm, the reciever/amp I have (Pioneer VSX-516/S) is an 8-16 ohm amp, though it has a low impedance mode of 6 ohms that I can switch it to.
I ran the LG speakers for a while (a week or so) on the low impedance setting but a family friend gave me 5 KEF speakers that he had in his garage. I'm still looking for a (probably second hand and relatively cheap) active subwoofer that I'll likely get off eBay (UK) to have a 5.1 system, though the receiver has 6 outputs for a 6.1 system.
I was looking at the KEF speakers to see if they only had one driver or a (really tiny) tweeter, though the round shiny thing turned out to be a bolt which was really hard to see through the metal grille on the front of them. I then got curious about the LG speakers (as the centre and as I later learned, the four surround speakers) seemed to have at least two drivers so I grabbed the centre speaker and a screwdriver and got to work. When I opened it up, the three drivers; two woofers and a tweeter (which are inexplicably screwed into the front fabric cover using a plastic grille) were all stamped with 8 ohm symbols (two speakers being 65W and the tweeter being 35W), though on the speaker's exterior it has a 4 ohm - 200W sticker.
Are they 8 ohm speakers marked up as 4 ohms due to a manufacturer oversight or is this due to internal circuitry changing the speakers to 4 ohms (I could make out a small coil and a cap soldered to a small board with the three outputs leading out, though there might be more circuitry on the other side of the board, which was screwed into place), I don't know much when it comes to audio electronics, though I know it can be bad running speakers with an impedance which is too low for your amp; I'd made a thread about this and was simply told not to turn it up too loud.
So are the speakers with the 4 ohm sticker (but 8 ohm drivers) 4 or 8 ohms?
Another question I have would be on getting am active subwoofer (preferably for £50 or less if it's second hand) any preferences you have would be nice to hear.
I'm planning to get some nice home audio speakers too, I used to have some old Tannoy mercury series speakers which were great; I lent them to a trusted friend and one of his housemates lent them to someone else without my permission

, I can't get them back as the person they were lent to is dead now (died on his 18th birthday to IIRC) and it would be in extremely bad taste to ask the family for my stuff back, the housemate who lent them out had a psychotic break a week or two after (he was seriously 'burning the candle at both ends' at the time), got sectioned and has been in a state of complete social withdrawal for a few years now so I'd feel bad asking him to replace them.
I liked the mercury series speakers though, they looked lovely (nice wooden speakers) and sounded great so I might get those again though if you know of any other speakers which would be easy on the eye, sound good and not cost more than £250-300 for a set of 5 (probably two floor standing, two bookshelf and a centre), I'd prefer to go brand new with these though very well cared for second hand ones are fine too.
When it comes to a timeline the subwoofer will likely be the first thing I'll get, then I'll get some nice home audio/surround sound speakers over a 3-6 month timeline.
Any other wisdom you can share is much appreciated too.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile version|Dark room|CT-ink Inc.  

2018-12-19 12:06 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.054451 second(s), 23 queries , Xcache On.